Tuesday, May 10, 2011

California Black Bean Burgers

This recipe is from my Betty Crocker's Cookbook. One I admit has been on my shelf for AGES, and rarely, if ever used. Mine isn't even the "new edition" that is shown in that link.

This recipe looked promising, as we enjoy a lot of vegetarian dishes and love black beans.

JDS_7036

California Black Bean Burgers

1 can black beans, undrained
1 can chopped green chilies, undrained
1 cup bread crumbs
1 tsp chili powder
1 large egg, beaten
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
6 hamburger buns
1 Tbsp mayonaise or salad dressing
1 1/4 cup shredded lettuce
3 Tbsp chunky salsa

Place beans in food processor or blender. Cover and process until slightly mashed (I just used my potato masher). Mix beans, chilies, bread crumbs, chili powder and egg. Shape mixture into 6 patties (I made 8 or 9 smaller ones), each about 1/2 inch thick. Coat each patty with cornmeal.

Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Cook patties in oil 5-10 minutes, turning once, until crisp and thoroughly cooked on both sides.
Spread bottom halves of buns with mayo, top with lettuce patties, salsa and tops of buns.



We were pretty disappointed in the outcome of these burgers... very bland... and mushy centred. The taste was alright... it just needed something... and I can't put my finger on what that is. We served them with romaine lettuce, tomato slices, and mayo, typical burger toppings. My husband put horseradish mayo on his, and the toddler didn't take more than a bite of hers(she's a bean lover even). If I figure out what it needed, I'll try them again, otherwise, I think this recipe is retired.

Our side salad was a pasta salad. I have no recipe.. it's different everytime I make it, since it's based on what's in the fridge. This one was pasta, cubed cheese, celery and green onion.. and the sauce was some random mixture of Miracle Whip, apple cider vinegar, creamy poppy seed dressing, and peppercorn ranch dressing (literally, whatever was in the fridge).

No comments:

Post a Comment